Friday, August 3, 2007

New comic reviews!

Had some free time yesterday night since there wasn't much to watch on TV. Pirate Master has been moved to Sunday (with no warning at all, and to a really weird timeslot at 2pm!) and Aeris has barred me from re-adding Las Vegas as one of my weekly TV programs to watch.

So what could a guy do? Well, if one is a comic book geek like me, then the answer is clear: Read the comics I had brought back from Perth! I actually also had quite a number of TPBs that I hadn't yet touched that were from BEFORE the Perth trip, but I wanted to read the single issues first so I could pack them all away.

I started with Army of Darkness #13 which was the prequel issue to the Marvel Zombies Vs Army of Darkness mini-series. It was hilarious! The writer really captured the essence of Ash and there was this nine-panel
scene when one of the Deadites shrank and jumped down Ash's pants, and you could see Ash's face run the gamut of expressions, from disgust to alarm to horror to relief to pleasure. Yes, THAT kind of pleasure one gets when something dips into the crotch area! :p Wish I had a scanner so I could scan that page and show you just what I mean.

Ash dies in the issue and it leads directly into Marvel Zombies Vs Army of Darkness #1...so I took out the entire mini-series (which I had bought right here in Australia) and read that too! There's nothing quite like seeing Ash trade quips with Spider-man and try to act the ladies men in front of Dazzler and the Scarlet Witch, only to have his charms and "suggestions" knocked back.

Best part of Marvel Zombies Vs Army of Darkness? That first panel of issue #4 when Doom threatens Dazzler and the Scarlet Witch bodily harm if Ash ever addressed him as "Yo Threepio" or "Domo Arigato Mr Roboto" again. Crazy funny!


Also read Avengers: The Initiative #4, which was a tie-in to the World War Hulk storyline.


This is probably one of the titles I will soon drop from my read list though. The story in itself was pretty good, but it's one title where I don't really care TOO much about the characters. The premise is simple: Since the Superhero Registration Act came into place, superheroes both new and old had to register with the government. The newer superheroes were all sent to a sort of superhero boot camp where they would be given adequate training before they could become part of a superteam. The older and more experienced heroes would already be on a superteam...or they would be the trainers and instructors of the boot camp.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a mini-series, which was why I bought it in the first place, but since it's becoming an ongoing month
ly and it isn't really a title I'm looking forward to read consistently, I'll drop it from my read list soon.

Mighty Avengers is fast becoming one of my favourite titles to read. I read Mighty Avengers #4 and it was just awesome!


Brian Michael Bendis is already one of my favourite writers and he plays to artist Frank Cho's (of Liberty Meadows fame) strengths by getting him to render gorgeous half naked women. Not that they're really naked of course.

And Bendis has sort of changed his style of writing for this particular series too. He'd used to write really long expository dialogue in stuff like Daredevil and Alias, but now he's keeping the quips short and humourous and allowing Cho to tell the story via facial expressions and body language.

Oh, and one of the best things about this series is the use of thought balloons! Once thought to be too archaic and a thing of the past, Bendis has brought this style back with a vengeance and uses it brilliantly. From Ms Marvel's distaste of Henry Pym to Janet Pym thinking the whole world has seen her naked, thanks to the new female Ultron having the same face as hers, whatever the characters are imagining often lead to hilarious results!

Scans next time. Perhaps.

No comments: