Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Quesada on Spidey: OneMore Day covers

DVD-style commentary by Joe Quesada about the covers he's done for Spider-man: One More Day.

ART ATTACK!: JOE QUESADA
Marvel’s Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada gives the inside story on his series of retro covers for the Spider-Man mega-event ‘One More Day’

By Ben Morse

Posted September 3, 2007 10:00 AM

It was the worst of times for Spider-Man, but it was the best of times for Joe Quesada.

When working on his retro-flavored covers for the heart-stopping four-part Spider-Man story he’ll be drawing for writer J. Michael Straczynski beginning with September’s Amazing Spider-Man #544, “One More Day,” the artist and Editor-in-Chief webbed up a helluva good time. “I’ve had a lot of fun doing these,” said Quesada. “Probably more fun than I’ve had doing any covers in a long time. I’d love to do more of these if anybody gives me the chance. Civil War was very heavy, very thought-provoking and a lot of bad stuff happened—it was a bit of a downer sometimes. We felt stories like World War Hulk and fun things like these covers would be a welcome relief after everything the Marvel Universe just went through.”



AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #544

“I went and pulled my 30 favorite Amazing Spider-Man covers from [the ’60s and ’70s] and used those as a template. I didn’t swipe anything, just tried to take a bit from here and there to re-create the feel.”



FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #24

“I have been fighting to use the corner box again for a very long time. I love those! The ‘Only 399 cents!’ thing may be my favorite gimmick of all time.”



SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN #41

“When I was doing the third [cover], I didn’t have a script from Joe [Straczynski], so he and I just talked it through. We knew where the story was leading and that these four mysterious people would play a big role.”

No comments: