Sunday, July 6, 2008

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: First thoughts.

Got a pretty nice haul of comics on Saturday from Classic Comics. There were actually much fewer comics than I thought I had to pick up. I was expecting perhaps six of the seven Bone HCs I had ordered but none of them were there, which was a bit of a relief I guess, because it would have eaten a LOT into my finances.


I did pick up The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Absolute Edition Vol.2 HC though, which I'm really looking forward to reading. The only thing though, is that I still have a huge stack of comics (both single issues and trades) and manga that I haven't started on yet. And that doesn't even count all the comics I've borrowed from the Knox City Library that I've got to read finish in exactly two weeks' time!


I also picked up another Nintendo Wii game in Super Smash Bros. Brawl from JB Hi-Fi. It's one of the most talked about games for the Wii and while reviews have been mixed (just check out the Amazon website...the game has been given reviews from the lowest one star to the highest of five!), the majority of people have just said how much of an awesome game it is. And how could one own a Nintendo system and NOT own a Smash Bros game?





I tried this out today when Marcelo and Kim were over and I got my ass handed to me by Marcelo in the Brawl portion of the game. To be fair though, I walked into the game having read about the controls ONCE before, and that was a good week and a half ago. Marcelo wanted the classic controller and I only had one, so I first tried out the Wiimote by itself, then the Wiimote + nunchuk combo. And I just couldn't really string together any combination of attacks. Had to break out the manual to have a look at the controls.


After reading figuring out what the controls were, it was a bit better and I think I prefer using the Wiimote to the Wiimote + nunchuk combo, but I think obviously, classic controller was made for this type of game. It was pretty fun even though I was confused trying to figure out the controls to play the game but this is the type of game where you'd need a lot of practice. I can't wait to start unlocking all the other characters though...there are a LOT of things that a player can unlock in this game! It's such a massive massive game...and I think it's the first Nintendo Wii game that actually uses dual-layered DVD discs!


It's also the first game in the Super Smash Bros series that actually uses third party (read: non-Nintendo exclusive) characters. Apart from old Nintendo favourites such as Mario, Link, Yoshi and Pikachu, there are also characters like Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series and Sonic the Hedgehog. The lineup is pretty massive and it'll be awesome trying all of the characters out.


Marcelo and I also played the single player mode called "The Subspace Emissary". It was pretty awesome as it allowed two players to play through the mode, which is a welcome change and brought me back to the days when I played Streets of Rage 2 with my cousin on the Sega Megadrive!


The one thing we didn't like about the single player mode is there wasn't any dialogue. It was kind of like watching a mute version of a game from the Final Fantasy series, except it had your favourite Nintendo characters. The single player mode is really good for practising the movesets of the various characters you get to use during the game though. And while it IS side scrolling it's still pretty fun...I'm slowly discovering how to use all the various item that get dropped onto the ground! Really like the bazooka at the moment, though it seems that if I pick it up facing a certain way, I have to face that way until I drop the bazooka and pick it up again.


More reviews and my thoughts about the game when I play it more!

No comments: